Monday, October 25, 2010

Why Hello there wall. So nice to finally slam into you FOUR WEEKS before the marathon! >:(

I had a hideous training run yesterday. I think a combination between changing my routine (i.e. running at 2 in the afternoon instead of first thing in the morning), diet (i.e. eating lunch before running, instead of my usual morning protein bar and fruit), and the insane Nashville weather (82 in October?!? REALLY?!?) really threw me off. I started out okay, but quickly realized I was in for a long day. My first mile was at a 9:45 pace... second at 10:23... third at 11:15 (see where we're headed?) and fourth at 11:45. We stopped for water and I couldn't seem to catch my breath. I was breathing deeply and still didn't feel like I was getting enough air. My heart rate was up compared to where it would normally be for that portion of the run and I was having to put in A LOT more effort to be able to run even a 12 minute mile pace.

We changed things up to a walk/run and shortened the distance from 18 miles to 11 miles. I finished with a 13:00 / mile average which isn't bad considering the effort it took to maintain it. I have one more long training run (20 miles, this Sunday) and then I'm off to the November races. I'm hoping to get a PR at my half marathon on the 13th but we shall see. I'm way more prepared for this one but I think I'm starting to get some late season burnout. My last training run on the half marathon course was at a 9:45 pace (a full 2 minutes less than my last half pace) but I'm still hesitant to believe I can maintain it with only a week between it and the full marathon... Ugh... What have I gotten myself into?

1 comment:

  1. Dont worry on bad run is pretty normal at this point in your training. Good luck with the race

    ReplyDelete